We ask 5 successful women one question in hopes that some of their #girlboss juju will rub off on us. There’s nothing we love more than a glimpse into the lives of people we admire. What’s in their bag? What books are they reading? What podcasts are they listening to? Maybe they know the one secret that could make a difference in our day, our business, our productivity, our wellness, or our creativity. So today we asked,
WHAT’S ON YOUR BEDSIDE TABLE?
SARA HUSSEY, FOUNDER OF SARA HUSSEY PUBLIC RELATIONS
Eye Mask – I was a skeptic of eye masks but this one is like a pillow on my face. I pretty much can’t sleep without it now and it’s become essential for traveling.
Hydrating Mineral Tonic Mist. This mist is one of many amazing products made from San Diego brand, The Holistic Science Co. I got it as a Christmas gift and Im obsessed. I spray the mist on my feet before bedtime and it may just be a placebo but I almost instantly feel more relaxed. It also recommends spraying on your face for a boost of energy throughout the day.
Blue Light Blocking Night Glasses – This is real dorky, but when I’m working late on my computer I wear a pair of blue light blocking glasses. They’re big, orange and embarrassing but they’re supposed to absorb 95% percent of the blue light emitted. From what I’ve researched, the less blue light before bed, the better you will sleep.
ACURE Eye Cream – I’ve recently waged war against my under eye bags and have started using ACURE’s Tightening Eye Contour Gel. I like it because I can actually feel it tightening just minutes after I apply. It’s also made with mostly plant-based organic ingredients which is a huge benefit.
A book – I’m in a book club, and though I’m usually (always) behind on my reading, I still keep the book on my bed side table as a sort of suggestion for things to do to help wind down from a busy day. We’re currently reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
CORY RIVADEMAR, PRODUCER
Clock- Vintage Double Bell Alarm clock. It’s loud as hell, but the only way to wake up in the morning. I found it at ShopGoodwill.com. Its their auction site and it’s very addicting.
Book- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. My son and I are reading this together at bedtime. Our British accents are coming along just brilliant!
Notepad & Star Wars Pen- I’m a big list keeper. I always have a pen and pad by my bed for those late night notes and “things to do” list for the next day. The pen was a gift and I don’t want to think about what I’ll do when the ink runs out.
Glasses- Since I turned 40 my eyesight is noticeably worse. I have at least 4 pair of Warby Parker glasses. Warby Parker are my favorite.
Apotheke Lotion- Working in Brooklyn, I came across this lotion in a hotel, I took every free sample bottle home with me, now I can’t live without it. I apply it every night before bed. After I finished the travel sized bottles my husband surprised me with a full size.
Water Glass- I always have a glass of water at my bedside. My friend Texas gave me this set. “His and Hers” I have no clue where the “His” cup is.
MacBook Pro- On. It. Every. Night.
Cory has worked in the magazine industry for the past 6 years. She recently started her own production company, working with clients like Amazon, Sony Music, & Rolling Stone. But before all of that she was Ms.Chiquita Banana in 1994, her first kiss was in a tejano music video and she drinks at least three Diet Cokes before breakfast. When she’s not fantasizing of Morrissey or brushing up on Star Wars trivia, Cory looks forward to playing tennis with her 8-year-old son and drinking wine on Friday nights at Little Deli. For more on Cory, follow her on Instagram
KELLY KRAUSE, SXSW INTERACTIVE PROGRAM MANAGER
I have officially perfected my evening routine and take so much pride in it that I’ll share any chance I can. I swear each of these items provides the best slumber. Here’s what’s on my side table.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. After I’ve washed my face and applied an evening cream, I use a few drops of this on my face, hands and cuticles. I swear the lavender and evening primrose help me sleep, and my skin always looks refreshed and dewey in the morning.
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. I have gone through several chapsticks and lip tins, tubes and creams, and this is by far the best hydrating treatment. With all of the cycling that I do in the sun or out in the cold, my lips crave this stuff.
- milk + honey Home Fragrance No. 08. Every single night, without fail, my sheets get four generous spritzes of this magical and soothing spray made with lavender and eucalyptus. Are you sensing a trend?
- 40 Blinks Eye Mask. No joke, I’ve tested at least 10 different eye masks and this one is a real winner. I’ve used one for 10 years now, that I have a hard time falling asleep without it.
- iPad. I cancelled cable on January 5th not because I watch too much TV, but because I truly never watch. Instead of settling in for a bad show that has half of my attention, I vowed to devote more time to reading and quality time with friends. So, my iPad is in my nightstand with a few great books loaded up and ready to go for 2017 (after reading Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I’m buying less physical copies). I’m about to finish “The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results.”
- Hydrangeas. Every Friday, I pop into Trader Joe’s after work for a few $5 bouquets of white hydrangeas for the house. One goes in my beautiful blue + gold Keith Kreeger vase, which completely brightens up my room. I love that for $5, you can make a room look clean, inviting and happy.
LAUREN RAMIREZ, STYLIST AND DESIGNER
- A Task Lamp from West Elm (the exact model has been discontinued, but this one is similar)- I love to read before bed, so good lighting is important to me but I refuse to sacrifice style!
- Hand and body lotion from Santa Fe Lavender– Santa Fe is one of my favorite places and I always stock up on local, organic lavender products when I visit.
- A copy of Let Your Life Speak by Parker Palmer- This book has been pivotal in my own search for my creative self, a vocation I love, and balance in my life, especially since becoming a mommy to two little girls. I keep it next to my bed for inspiration and to reference when I feel a bit like I have lost myself in the piles of laundry.
- A tiny original watercolor painting in a magnetic acrylic frame– Art encourages me, so this small scale piece that was given to me as a gift is just perfect for beauty and inspiration first thing in the morning or in the final moments of my day.
- A glass of water, usually in a hand blown Mexican juice glass from HACIENDA Austin. Eight cups of water a day is my goal and there’s something just right about the weight and size of these glasses.
MICHELLE PIMM, CREATER AND CO-STAR OF PODCAST I WAS JUST SAYING THAT
- Tina Fey’s Bossypants– It lives on my side table. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve read it.
- Moleskin Notebook (with no lines)- I write little thoughts, poems, ideas, or even draw pictures. It’s my way of unwinding when I don’t feel like opening up a book.
- Glasses– At night I roam contacts-free, so a pair of glasses are needed to do anything.
- Flowers- It’s nice to see something beautiful when you wake up.
- Vaseline Lip Treatment– No matter what the time of year, I like to swipe a lip treatment on before bed.
- ARCONA Wine Hydrating Mask– Some nights I put this on before I go to bed. It smells wonderful and hydrates my skin while I sleep.
Michelle is a writer and the creator/co-host of the podcast I Was Just Saying That. You can keep up with her and the show on instagram at @michellepimm and @iwasjustsayingthat. New episodes every Friday: http://apple.co/2j74oiW